Saturday, February 13, 2010

Disneyworld, 1973

My family took a trip to Disney World during Christmas break in 1973; I was 7-1/2 years old, and my sister was 5. We stayed at the Polynesian Village, one of two hotels on site (the other being the Contemporary). We did the luau one night, but it was so cold that we had to wear winter jackets, hats, and gloves while eating our spare ribs (as can be seen in one picture here). Judging by the position of the night-time photos, we spent two full days at Disney World.

I know that at least two of the rides aren't there anymore - the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride (closed 1994, demolished 2005) and the Skyway (closed 1999).

Lots more photos at my flickr page; if you're knowledgeable Disney fans, please comment on what ride it was taken on, and even if it's still there in that condition.



Main Street USA

 
Cinderella's castle, from ???

  
Swiss Family Robinson treehouse, later renamed Tarzan's Treehouse

  
On the Jungle Cruise ride

  
My sister and me with one of the characters from The Jungle Book

  
The luau at the Polynesian Village (note the winter wear)

  
My sister and me in front of the Castle

  
The bridge to Tom Sawyer's Island (I think)

  
Mickey at the head of the parade (not sure which one)

  
Donald in the parade

  
Standing in line for the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride

  
My sister (in pink) with Minnie. Early 1970s fashion FAIL.

  
The 20,000 Leagues ride, from the Skyway

  
The Contemporary Hotel, from the Skyway


1 comment:

  1. Wow - those photos are amazing! I love looking back at what places used to look like, it's so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete

How to find someone in the 1940 Census

I posted this on Facebook in April 2012, not long after the 1940 Census was released. I rediscovered this post in November 2020 and figured ...